ADMISSION CRITERIA FOR INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
- Eligibility to apply as an international student
- Tuition and Scholarships
- Online Application
- Application Deadlines and Admission Announcements
- Acceptable Exams and Diplomas – Minimum Scores and Grades
- Application Evaluation
- Upon Admission
- Required Documents for Registration
- Important Notes
- Proficiency in English
- Bank Information
The criteria outlined below are determined by the Higher Education Council of Turkey.
Students who are in their senior year at high school or who graduated from high school and who satisfy at least one of the below criteria may apply as international students.
- Students with foreign nationality,
- Students who were Turkish citizens by birth but ceased to be a citizen by the courtesy of the Ministry of Interior (applicant has to certify that he/she holds the official document regarding the use of rights granted by Turkish Citizenship Law),
- Students who were registered as minors on the document stating that the parent has ceased to be a Turkish citizen as explained above (applicant has to certify that he/she holds the official document regarding the use of rights granted by Turkish Citizenship Law),
- Foreign nationals who have taken Turkish citizenship / dual citizens within this context,
- Turkish citizens who began high school before 1 Feb 2013 abroad and who completed the last 3 years of high school education abroad (except in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus – TRNC),
- Turkish citizens who began high school after 1 Feb 2013 abroad and who completed the entire high school education abroad (except in TRNC),
- Turkish citizens who completed the entire high school education abroad (except in TRNC) in one of the Turkish schools recognized by the Ministry of Education,
- TRNC citizens who reside in TRNC and who completed their high school education in TRNC and who have taken the GCE AL exam,
- TRNC citizens who enrolled in high schools abroad (except in Turkey and in TRNC) between 2005-2010 and who have taken/will take the GCE AL exam.
Students who cannot apply as international students:
- Turkish citizens who have completed their entire high school education in Turkey or in TRNC,
- TRNC citizens (except cases explained above),
- Dual nationality applicants whose first nationality is Turkish by birth (except cases explained above),
- Applicants who hold dual nationality one of which is TRNC (except cases explained above),
- Turkish citizens or dual-nationality students whose first nationality is Turkish by birth who studied in foreign schools in Turkey or in schools within the context of embassies in Turkey.
Undergraduate Programs offered and English Preparatory Year admission
International students can apply directly to one of the 22 undergraduate programs offered at Koç University OR be admitted into our English Language Center (ELC) preparatory year.
Since English is the language of instruction at Koç University, it is essential that you demonstrate competence in the language:
- Students who submit a valid English Proficiency Exam Result will be exempted from the English Language Center and will directly begin their undergraduate courses. Please note below the minimum scores required:
o TOEFL: IBT 80 WRT 20 / CBT 213 / PBT: 550 TWE: 4
o YDS: 80 (Yabancı Dil Sınavı – mostly for Turkish applicants)
- Students who don’t satisfy the minimum English proficiency required (as detailed above) but are deemed academically fit may be offered admission into our ELC 1 year program.
Please note: it is not sufficient to have proficiency in English. International students are also required to satisfy the minimum acceptable scores or diploma grades in the exams or diplomas listed in Acceptable Exams and Diplomas and Minimum Eligibility Scores and Grades section.
For the 2018-2019 academic year:
- School of Medicine at Koç University tuition: 105.500 TL (Turkish Lira)
- All other Colleges, including ELC (English Language Center) preparatory year tuition: 76.500 TL (Turkish Lira)
This fee covers tuition and registration and also allows full use of the library, computer laboratories, and infirmary services. This fee does not cover campus dormitory accommodation, meals or other living expenses.
Tuition fees for the 2019-20 academic year will be announced in Spring 2019.
Scholarships for International Undergraduate Students
Every academic year the committee that evaluates international undergraduate applications may offer a limited number of tuition scholarships (25%, 50%) to outstanding candidates based on academic merit. Alternatively, the online application allows candidates to submit financial need information so they can be considered for a need-based tuition scholarship (25%, 50%, 100%) by the Scholarships Committee. Please note that admission decisions are not based on whether an applicant requests a scholarship or not (need-blind admissions).
Please visit international.ku.edu.tr for detailed information about country-specific scholarships and other externally funded scholarships in Turkey.
To submit the online application, you will need to upload ALL the documents below as relevant:
- Copy of one of the acceptable international test score reports or diploma grades. Please refer to the Acceptable Exams and Diplomas and Minimum Eligibility Scores and Grades section for a complete list. Applying with a test or diploma not included in this list significantly diminishes your admission chances.
- Personal Essay: this is a written expression of your qualities as an applicant and will often be a very important way for Faculty members to understand why you are an acceptable candidate for their program
- Two (2) letters of recommendation in English
- If available, a copy of your High School Diploma and its Turkish translation if the original diploma is not in English. Please refer to certifying copies of your original documents section for more information.
- Copy of official transcripts of your high school courses and grades
- If available, a copy of the score report of one of the acceptable English language proficiency tests (optional). Please see Proficiency in English section for details.
- For Law and Nursing program candidates only, a copy of the Turkish language proficiency exam score. Please see Proficiency in Turkish section
- Copy of payment receipt of the Non-refundable application fee of 150 TL (Turkish Lira). Please see bank account information section for payment details.
*Applications with missing documents will not be taken into consideration. It is the applicant’s responsibility to upload complete and accurate documents before the application deadline.
If you have missing documents, you can write a petition explaining the reason and submit it by emailing them to email@example.com so it can be added to your evaluation file.
Please note that all documents should be uploaded to the online application in a PDF file format (.pdf), each file should be less than 60MB in size and include no Turkish or other special characters in the file name.
Make sure you indicate a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of program in the online application form so that if you are not offered admission to your 1st choice program you will still be evaluated for your 2nd choice and 3rd choice. If offered admission to your 2nd or 3rd choice you can consider accepting the offer and after your Freshman year applying for internal transfer to your original 1st choice. Please note that Koç University also offers the possibility to undergraduate students to do double majors and minors.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2019-20 (Fall 2019 ADMISSION)
|2019-20 Session||Online Application period||Results Announcement||Important notes|
|Winter session||December 03, 2018 – January 04, 2019||March 08, 2019
|· We strongly recommend that you apply by the early deadline only if you have all your documents ready such as SAT test scores.
· If you don’t have your high school diploma yet you can submit a letter from your school indicating when you will receive your official diploma and then submit this document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your application number.
|Spring session 1||January 05, 2019 – March 08, 2019||May 10, 2019||· We strongly recommend that you apply only if you have all your documents ready such as SAT test scores.|
|Spring session 2||March 09, 2019 – May 10, 2019||July 12, 2019||· We strongly recommend that you apply only if you have all your documents ready such as SAT test scores.|
|Summer session||May 11, 2019 – August 02, 2019||September 06, 2019||· Applications received in the Summer session will only be evaluated if there is any quota left in the respective department.
· We strongly recommend that you submit your application with all required documents in the previous sessions
· If you need to apply for a student visa to enter Turkey this may take up to 3 months for approval by the relevant Turkish Consulate or Embassy and you may lose your right to enroll in the Fall semester. You can check visa requirements according to citizenship in this guide
Only the exams and diplomas listed below will be accepted for admission to Koç University. An applicant should satisfy the minimum acceptable score or grade from one of the exams or diplomas to submit their application.
Exam scores older than 2 years at the time of application will not be accepted. There is no time limitation on diploma grades.
It is not possible to apply by using any other exam or diploma type.
Students who cannot provide any of the exams listed above (for a valid reason) may also be evaluated with their national high school diploma grades and other credentials but please note that admission chances will be lower.
You can see statistics about the test scores of previously admitted international students to Koç University’s undergraduate programs here.
Below are the quotas for the 2018-2019 academic year.
*For information only. The quotas for the 2019-2020 academic year will be announced shortly.
|College of Science|
|Molecular Biology and Genetics (English)||13|
|College of Social Sciences and Humanities|
|Archaeology and History of Art (English)||7|
|English Language and Comparative Literature (English)||9|
|Media and Visual Arts (English)||25|
|College of Administrative Sciences and Economics|
|Business Administration (English)||65|
|International Relations (English)||36|
|College of Engineering|
|Computer Engineering (English)||35|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering (English)||38|
|Industrial Engineering (English)||40|
|Chemical and Biological Engineering (English)||22|
|Mechanical Engineering (English)||35|
|School of Medicine|
Applications are evaluated in terms of academic merit by an Admissions Committee comprised of the Dean of the relevant College, the Dean of Students and the Vice-President of Academic Affairs. Interviews may be arranged with the candidate via skype or telephone if necessary. Please note that evaluation is done on a need-blind basis.
As soon as you have received an admission offer letter and made your decision about attending Koç University, you need to inform the Global Engagement Office via email (email@example.com) of your intent.
Click here for detailed information once you have received an admission offer letter.
If you encounter problems completing the online application form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Phone numbers:||+90 212-338 1374|
|Fax:||+90 212-338 12 88|
Since English is the language of instruction at Koç University, it is essential that you demonstrate competence in the language. Students who submit a valid English Proficiency Exam Result will be exempted from attending the English Language Center and will directly begin their undergraduate courses.
It is not sufficient to have proficiency in English it is also required to satisfy the minimum acceptable score or diploma grade for one of those exams or diplomas listed in Acceptable Exams and Diplomas and Minimum Eligibility Scores and Grades.
Institutional TOEFL (ITP) exam score administered by the ELC
Students with TOEFL/TWE score of 550/4 or above will be promoted to their academic programs.
External Exam Scores
Students can be exempted from ELC provided that they present the following minimum scores of the external exams given below in the online application:
TOEFL PBT: 550 TWE: 4
TOEFL IBT: 80 WRT:20
Further information is available on ELC’s website at http://elc.ku.edu.tr/home
Students who have applied for Law or Nursing programs will directly begin Turkish education if they can prove that -within the framework of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages- their score is C1 or above at TOMER or Yunus Emre Institute Turkish Proficiency Exam.
The required copies of school certificates and/or degrees should be certified by the issuing institution or notary public offices as genuine copies of the original.
All the documents other than Turkish or English should be translated either of these languages by an accredited translation office and the copies should be submitted.
Please note that the required documents for registration without original statements or certified evidence of study results will not be taken into consideration. The diplomas and transcripts should be officially translated by an accredited translator and the translation should be attached to the original.
On the day of enrollment, the student should provide the original of all the documents or its certified copies to the Registrar’s Office.
The application fee (150 TL) should be paid via bank wire transfer to the bank account below and the transfer receipt should be uploaded to the online application along with the other documents. Submitting an online application without a bank transfer receipt will mean it is not evaluated for admission.
Money order, cashier’s check, cash or any other payment types cannot be accepted. An application fee sent by such payment methods is not accepted and these applications are considered incomplete and will not be evaluated.
Bank name: Yapı ve Kredi Bankası A.Ş.
Bank Address: Rumelifeneri Yolu, Sarıyer -İstanbul 34450
Branch Name: Koç Üniversitesi
Account no: 428868
Swift code: YAPITRIS
IBAN No: TR63 0006 7010 0000 0000 428868
Please state in the Reason of payment – “Application Fee, Name, Surname and passport number”
Important Note on the Use of Agents or Educational Agencies
Koç University partners with a selected group of third-party agents or educational agencies to provide advice and support on the suitability of our academic programs and the application process. However, it is not necessary to engage an agent in order to have a strong chance of admission to Koç University. Admission decisions are not based on the recommendations of agents.
Koç University expects an application to be the work of the applicant and that all information on the application is complete, accurate and truthful. We may reject application materials, cancel an admissions offer or dismiss a student from attendance if it is determined that application materials have been falsified.
You can see a list of authorized partner agencies in your country here.