Special Students Addimissions
Tuition Paying Exchange Students
- Tuition Paying Exchange Student Application
- Tuition Paying Exchange Student Admission
- Transfer of Credits
- Submission Deadline for Application
- Tuition and fees
- Required Documents for Application
- Important Notes
Welcoming tuition paying exchange students, Koç University offers a broad range of courses where students may deepen their interests, complete requirements for other degree programs, or just broaden their horizons. You may find the most up-to-date course list and the accompanying course descriptions under the Registrar’s web page at:
Students who are currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or a Doctorate program at another university may apply to take certain courses as a tuition paying exchange student at Koç University. High school students/graduates are not eligible to apply as a tuition paying exchange student.
Koç University accepts a very limited number of tuition paying exchange students who wish to attend specific courses without being candidates for a degree. Applications are reviewed by the Executive Councils of the University. The fee is determined separately for each course attended. Upon request, tuition paying exchange students are given transcripts indicating the courses they attended and credits and grade(s) received.
Admission as a tuition paying exchange student should not be considered as admission to any degree program at Koç University.
An academic record is maintained for each tuition paying exchange (non-degree) student, and the student’s work will be graded and recorded in accordance with the prevailing policies of each College or Institute. Credit or grade earned as a tuition paying exchange student will be reported, at the student’s request, to other institutions.
A student’s status as a tuition paying exchange student at Koç University does not give him/her any privilege to get admitted as a tuition paying exchange student again. Koç University may refuse to register any tuition paying exchange student for a second time depending on various factors. Each semester, tuition paying exchange students must submit to the Registrar’s Office their updated application form to register for a course.
Questions about eligibility, application process, or course details should be referred to the Registrar’s Office. Contact details can be found at contact information section.
If a tuition paying exchange student wishes to transfer from another higher education institution to a program at Koç University, upon admission, he/she cannot transfer Koç University credits while obtained as a tuition paying exchange student. The student may only transfer credits recorded on the transcript of his/her former institution; i.e. may only transfer the credits his/her former institution had formerly accepted.
Below is the relevant YÖK rule:
MADDE 25 –
(5) Özel öğrenci veya değişim programına katılan öğrencilerin kurumlar arası yatay geçiş yapmaları halinde sadece kayıtlı oldukları diploma programında kabul edilmiş olan dersleri transfer edilebilir.
(5) In case tuition paying exchange students or students participating in an exchange program would like to transfer to the institution where they studied as a special or exchange student, they can only transfer credits previously accepted by their former academic program.
You may also reach these rules and regulations at the official website of YÖK at http://www.yok.gov.tr/web/guest/icerik/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_rsRqRmHtxKK6/10279/18082
All documents regarding the application must be submitted to the address below by no later than August 1, 2014. Please see contact information section for address details.
For the 2015-2016 academic year, the tuition for the School of Medicine at Koç University is 60.600 TL, for the School of Nursing is 10.500 TL, and for all other departments, including ELC (English Language Center), is 44.000 TL. This fee covers tuition and registration and also allows full use of the library, computer laboratories, and infirmary services. If a student wants to take one, two or three courses, he/she has to pay the tuition per course, which is one tenth of the regular annual tuition.
All application documents and all the required enclosures must be submitted in a closed envelope and be sent to the Registrar’s Office to complete the application process. To speed up the process, students may also email the unofficial version of documents to the Registrar’s Office until the originals are received. Applications with missing documents are not taken into consideration. It is the applicant’s responsibility to send the complete and accurate required documents on time.
The required documents are listed below:
- Tuition Paying Exchange Student Application Form: Applications are administered through this form. The candidate should fill out his/her personal and academic information, seal his/her photo on this form, sign it, and either email or fax it to the Registrar’s Office until the original is received. Please refer to Instructions for Filling out the Application form Electronically section if you encounter any problems.
- Sealed and approved official transcript: Students who are already enrolled in a university should send a copy of their official transcript to the Registrar’s Office. If the student is a graduate of a university, he should still request a transcript and send it to us.
- Copy of English Proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.): Students need to send either their TOEFL or IELTS score and prove that they passed the test at a level determined by KU. The official version also needs to be sent to the Registrar’s Office. Please refer to English proficiency section for a list of accepted exams and minimum scores.
- For the candidates who apply for a course in Law or Nursing programs whose language of instruction is Turkish, the original score of the Turkish language proficiency exam. Please refer to Turkish proficiency section for a list of accepted exams and minimum scores,
- Upon admission, ERASMUS students who are nationals of the EU will be allowed to travel to Turkey with a tourist visa, while the rest of the international students will be required to obtain a student visa. Otherwise they will not be able to get a residence permit and will be asked to travel back to their home country.
- During registration, you will be asked to bring your original ID in order to make a photocopy.
- 2 (two) photos will be requested during registration to be kept in your student file.
+90 212 338 16 08 (int. 16 08) +90 212 338 16 82 (int. 16 82)
Fax: +90 212 338 12 88 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Address: Koç Üniversitesi
Kayıt ve Kabul Müdürlüğü
Rumeli Feneri Yolu
Sarıyer, Istanbul, Turkey 34450
If you encounter problems on opening and filling out the application form, please make sure you have the updated version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. The latest version can be downloaded for free at http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Please save the application form on your computer using the “save” icon from the toolbar.
- Open the saved document, right click and choose the “Add text or signature” option.
- Choose “Add text” option from the right-hand side of the document. On the top a bar will open.
- You may begin typing on the pdf document.
If the problem persists, you may get in touch with the Registrar’s Office.
The following external exams and minimum scores will be accepted:
TOEFL PBT: 550 TWE: 4
TOEFL IBT: 80 WRT:20
IELTS (Academic Module): 6.5 and minimum of 5 per section
TOEFL test scores should be posted to Koç University code 0163.
An Institutional TOEFL will be administered on Saturday, July 20, 2013 at Koç University. It will be held for the applicants who have not achieved paper based TOEFL score of 550 and TWE score of 4, Internet based TOEFL (IBT) 80 and WRT score of 20 or above.
For further information, please contact English Language Center (ELC) at +90 212 3387032 or visit ELC’s web site at http://elc.ku.edu.tr/home
Students who have applied for a course whose language of Instruction is Turkish in Law or Nursing programs will directly begin Turkish education if they approve that -within the framework of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages- their score is C1 or above at TOMER or Yunus Emre Institute Turkish Proficiency Exam.